Serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Monday, September 5, 2011

My Notes and Thoughts From Elder Holland's Talk

Hey Everybody!

 
Hey all you!  How's my family doing?  It's officially my 8th week and we get travel plans today!  I'm so excited!  It has been an awesome week and very eventful.  We hand an Apostle of the Lord come and visit us!  It was soo cool!  I even got to sing in the MTC Choir for him, and he said we did GREAT!

Hope you are all doing great.  Thanks for the picture.  It's my favorite and I really needed boxes so thanks for sending them.  

I hope you all continue to do great and enjoy school!


These are my notes and thoughts from the talk given on August 30, 2011 - Elder Jeffery R. Holland.
 
Okay, this is officially the coolest day in my life!  One of the twelve is here.  And we are singing for him!!  I don't know why, but I just about cried when he came in, the Spirit was so strong.  I feel kinda dumb, because I'm soooo excited to hear him talk!  It's like it's actually coming true!

Alma 7: 23 & 24 And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works. and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.

  • This is the only one that will not go through apostasy. 
  • We are the chosen dispensation.
  • Almost all missionary work that will matter will be done in this dispensation.
  • (Read Mormon 8)
  • We (Missionaries) are the most prayed-for people on the face of the earth.
The most universially accepted icon in the world is the picture of two missionaries.  Everybody loves missionaries.  We do not have the right to comprise that image; to damage that image.

...a missionary who can come home and forget what he is doing here (in the field)...  Four hours ago someone gave their life for this church.  Don't come home and turn against this.  Don't pretend it didn't happen.  I want you to go into this forever.

What is the most important thing that Christ wants us to know?  That EVERYTHING he said was true.

You are going out to help people not suffer.  He suffered so we don't have to. 

3 best pieces of advice:
  1. Go on a mission.
  2. Marry as directly and as honestly as he could.
  3. Get as much education as he could get.
People pay for your brains.  "I like people who know how to do things."

What is the greatest gift we can give to the Lord Jesus Christ?  Our Heart.  "...they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." 


Why does God love us?  There is not anything he wouldn't do for his children.  This is why God loves us; we are his children.


Welp, that was the best day in my entire life.  Probably because it was in a point of time in my life when I could be old enough to remember, as well as a point in time when I needed it most.  I know that God loves me.  I know that feeling that everybody has been talking about now.  I know that we are here, doing the Lord's work.  I don't think that, as a grown man, I would cry if it wasn't so powerful; so true. 


I am Important.  I am afraid of the future.  I am afraid of the past.  I know that if I work one day at a time and love the Lord and trust him then I won't have to think about the past or worry about my future.  


I've already gained so much by going on a mission.  I had NOTHING.  And now I have everything. 


I owe my future family everything God has given me.


Final thought:  I am not who I left behind.


Love you all,

Elder Channing Winterrose



No comments:

Post a Comment